Deutsch- Effekt ( German Effect )

Thursday, February 11, 2010 Edit This 7 Comments »
Guten Abend - Good Evening

This semester I am learning German.. Since for the first time I am studying and learning a foreign language , so it is both very exciting and difficult..I am not a bookaholic and dnt study regularly, so as usual opened the German book a day before the German Exam. First I thought of starting German but then recalled that OMG !! i have another exam on the same day n that too Finance..Cant afford not to study that.

I was in dilemma n it was time for trade off b/w German n Fin. After wasting a hell lot of time , finally i decided that I will study Fin n in b/w whnevr i will be bored , I will switch to German.

So I guess after studying for half day , finally i switched to German. The moment I started, I felt that I am gone and I am surely gonna flunk bcz these das, die , der, unser, diese, dieser, dieses, ein, eine will make me mad..( By the way, these words mean A , AN, THE , THIS ). One must be wondering that I wrote 9 words but just four meanings. Well , Dz z German :)

Der/Dieser - The/This for Masculine
Die/Diese - The/This for Feminine
Das/Dieses - The/This for Neutral

Wht's this crap ? I guess 'The' is 'The' n whts d adv f confusing d lang so much for ordinary people like me by including masculine, feminine or neutral.

Similarly, there are some very funny n strange words like -

1. Vergangenheit - Means ' past '. Pronunciation -> F- r- gain - gun - height. By the time u will pronounce it , it will already be past.
2. Auf Wiedersehen - Means ' bye- bye' . Bye bye kam n abusive language jyada lagti h.
3. Bleistift - Means ' pencil '. I dont knw why such a strnge name for simple word. Children will be scared of asking pencils if they have to ask in Germn.
4. Kugelschreiber - Means ' Ball pen '. Pronunciation -> Ku - gal - sh - ra - e - b - r. It seems like a word used for Kings of ancient times. Never thought that owing a pen will make one so proud.
5. Bonbon - Means ' Toffee '. The pronunciation seems as if a dog is making sound.

But there are some good and interesting words also. Like -

1. Liebe - Means ' Love '. Seems like a very cute word.
2. Bitte -Means ' Please '. I dont knw if it z intersting for others, but i like it.
3. Ruhe - Means ' Keep quiet ' . Short and simple.
4. Uhr - Means ' Watch ' . Pronounced as -> oo - a - r. Seher uhr ( See watch ) :). Although it seems like hindi version of 'pig' but atleast it is easy to pronounce.
5. Ja - Means ' Yes' . Best part is that it is pronounced as ' Ya '.

While studying German , I thought let's try and write 5-6 simple sentences about myself that I wrote probably last time in 1st standard at school. Read with concentration : It is always good to learn something new.

1. Ich heißt Swati Jain
2. Meine vorname ist Swati
3. Meine nachname ist Jain
4. Ich habe zwei Brüder ( This double dot is known as umlaut )
5. Ich bin zweiundzwanzig jahre alt.
6. Ich arbeite nicht.

Could not write much because I knw limited German and I dint have time to waste in stressing so much just one hour before exam.

Well the conversion is simple :)

1. My name is Swati Jain
2. My first name is Swati
3. My last name is Jain
4. I have 2 Brothers
5. I am 22 years old
6. I am not working

Although I was scared of German when i opend the material yet I enjoyed it later. Hope i will be an expert in dz ;) Quite impossible bcz Sir said 'For that u need to study it for atleast 2 years' n I have to study for 3 months out of which 1 month is gone.

P.S : Try a new language if getting bored in life or want to have fun. ( Bcz in every lang u will find funny words n quotes )

Gute Nacht - Good Night :)

7 comments:

Siddhi Agrawal said...

Grüß dich!Wie geht es Ihnen?

liked the post :)

Anuja said...

sehr nett geschrieben ;) :)
(very nicely written)

Surinder Bhutani said...

मुझे German तो आती नहीं इसलिए तो मैंने सोचा की मैं हिंदी मे ही बोल दू की ये ब्लॉग पोस्ट अछा लिखा है!
तुझे German आती है तो मुझे हिंदी आती है ;-)
आगे भी लिखते रहना और हम यू ही पढ़ते रहेंगे !
:-)

Swati Jain said...

Siddhi : Ich bin glücklich/gut ( I am happy / good )

@ Anuja n Siddhi : Thnx :) n c u bth r also learng some words now..Although i knw u hv copy pasted 4m google translator but still :)

Swati Jain said...

@ Surinder : Danke ( Thank you / Dhanyawaad ) ..N Hindi to matra bhasha h n mujhe tuti futti aati h to socha kuch naya ho jaye ab :)

Siddhi Agrawal said...

yup googling helps,stil your post motivated to do so

Anonymous said...

First time on your blog and yaa You write really well. Your current post inspired me to learn some other foreign language than English.

Keep blogging...


You can visit my blog here